CSI Snapshot Support for TKG Service
Previously, users couldn't take PV snapshots directly with CSI, they needed to use third-party tools. This feature allows K8s users and backup vendors to take persistent volume snapshots in a standardized way on TKGS.
This feature has a few use cases. For example, a Devops admins can now take point-in-time snapshots of PV and quickly restore a PV from a snapshot. Another example is now backup partners can provide backup and restore capability for Tanzu workloads.
Move PVs across Datastores (svMotion)
Previously, users were not able to move or migrate PV/PVCs to different datastores once deployed. In this release, we’ve enabled users to migrate PV/PVCs across datastores, using storage vMotion, in the vSphere UI.
This can be useful for retiring old storage/datastores, datastore maintenance, or capacity balancing. Depending on the SPBM policy used, you can also change the storage capability of the PV/PVC with a migration.
Integrated File Services for Cloud Native and Traditional Workloads
Previously, users were not able to enable file services on vSAN Express Storage Architecture (ESA), and therefore the creation of RWM PVs would fail to create. With this release, vSAN ESA now supports file services enabling customers to provision RWM PVs to vSAN ESA. This provides the customer with better data path performance for workloads running on vSAN ESA and increases overall RWM adoption on vSAN.
- Supports NFS and SMB protocols for traditional and cloud-native clients
- Feature parity with vSAN file services in Original Storage Architecture
- Workflow for Provisioning TKG Clusters on Supervisor Using Kubectl
- Using Tanzu Kubernetes Releases with TKG Clusters on Supervisor
- Example of vSphere Pod Workload Deployment
- Deploy the Guestbook Application on a TKG Cluster
- Working with VM Classes in vSphere with Tanzu
- Example Role for Pod Security Policy
- Creating Persistent Storage Volumes Dynamically
- Create Storage Policies for vSphere with Tanzu (vmware.com)
- VMware vSphere Container Storage Plug-in 2.3 Release Notes
- Enable a One-Zone Supervisor with vSphere Networking
- Supervisor Series
- Deploying vSphere Container Storage Plug-in with Multiple vCenter Server Instances (vmware.com)
- Using Persistent Storage with Workloads (vmware.com)