Preparing an Ubuntu Template for use with the Holodeck Toolkit
Create Ubuntu Holo-Template
The vRealize Automation (VRA) labs in the Holodeck series make use of a standardized Ubuntu 18.04 based template. This section covers the creation of this template prior to deploying VRA so the template can be included in the VRA setup.
- VLC-Holo-Site-1 configuration deployed
- External network access from the Holo environment
- On the Holo-Console, the VLC Holo Build directory available at C:\VLC\VLC-Holo-Site-1\Holo-Build
Task 1: Prep for VM build
In this task we will prepare the components needed to deploy the Ubuntu template used VMware vRealize Automation (vRA).
[Step 1] Download Ubuntu 18.04 Cloud Image
- Within Holo-Console, open Chrome and download the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Daily Build
- Copy this file to C:\VLC\VLC-Holo-Site-1\Holo-Build\
- Rename the file to bionic.ova
Task 2: Build Template
In this task the automated build scripts are executed, and the output is verified.
[Step 1] Run Template generation scripts
- From within the Holo-Console, click on Windows Start Menu->Windows PowerShell->Windows PowerShell
- In the PowerShell window, type the following command:
- Type the following command:
- The output resembles the following:
- Enter the following command:
- The script begins deploying Holo-Template within the nested VCF environment
- The script takes approximately 5 minutes to complete
- Wait for the process to complete successfully
Task 2: Prepare Holo-Template for lab use
This task prepares the Holo-Template for use in VRA.
[Step 1] Convert and shutdown Holo-Template
- Connect to the nested vCenter server instance for the VCF Management Domain.
- From the VM and Template view within the vSphere Client, click on Holo-Template
- Click Launch Web Console
- Login as the user ocuser with the password of VMware123!
- Execute the following command: cd /etc/holodeck && sudo ./ubuntu-prepare.sh
- The script updates the packages on the VM and then shuts down and powers off the VM
- On the vSphere client, right click on Holo-Template->Edit Settings
- Click the dropdown box for CD/DVD drive 1
- Select the Client Device option
- Click OK
- On the vSphere client, right click on Holo-Template->Template->Convert to Template
- Click Yes