Sovereign Services: It’s About Jurisdiction (and Making Money!)
By: Amit Rawlani
Senior Director of Solutions & Technology Alliances, Cloudian
Data sovereignty and sovereign clouds have taken on a new significance in the world today. As organizations around the world generate troves of data, they are keenly aware of the need to manage, store, and secure this valuable asset as well as comply with the sovereignty laws of the land where this data resides. This is especially true for highly regulated environments like Healthcare, Telecom, Financial Services, and Public Sector.
The need for compliance creates a complicated patchwork of requirements. The most important of these are
- Data Residency: Data hosted in a particular country will be under that country’s jurisdiction.
- Data Privacy: It is also essential to consider the privacy laws in the country where the data was collected.
- Data Protection and Data Security: Beyond that, there are the organization’s own requirements for data privacy, data residency, data protection and data security.
You can read about these in detail here.
Be the Solution: Build Sovereign Cloud Services
Given the complexity, it is no surprise that organizations are increasingly working with service providers and managed service providers (xSPs) to help them implement data security and data protection measures and to help navigate regulations to ensure compliance with data privacy legislation. This presents an opportunity for cloud xSPs to meet this demand with end-to-end cloud services that are scalable, cost-effective, and secure.
Sovereign Data Lakehouse: An Exciting New Service Offering
This applies to the ability to offer traditional cloud services like Storage as a Service (STaas) and Backup as a Service (BUaaS) and extends even to new-age, high-value analytics. The opportunity to offer a sovereign Data Lakehouse as a Service that is secure, affordable, and scalable has never been greater. Essential to this is an S3 Data Lake along with an analytics tool built on open standards, for xSPs, with in-built multi-tenancy, billing, metering, and the ability to expand to petabyte scale on-demand.
VMware Greenplum, a massively parallel processing (MPP) data warehouse platform, integrates with Cloudian HyperStore S3-compatible object storage and is now available to xSPs to offer a high-value Data Lakehouse as-a-service in their Sovereign Clouds. This VMware-certified solution enables new efficiencies and savings and is ideal for the creation and deployment of advanced analytics models for complex enterprise applications.
Choose the Right Platform
Reasons a Data Lakehouse built using VMware Greenplum and Cloudian HyperStore is quickly becoming a must-have sovereign cloud service are:
- It’s a high-value, sought-after service that customers are asking about
- It’s a revenue-ready, plug ‘n’ play service based on Greenplum and Cloudian
- Commercials can be transacted using VCPP points
- It can be built with a high level of security, resiliency, and sovereignty
- A Data Lakehouse Service built on Greenplum and Cloudian is SP-ready with multi-tenancy and a host of features built-in
In conclusion, sovereign clouds make sense for a plethora of reasons. A key driver is building with the best solution providers to ensure your high-value sovereign cloud services are both dependable and at the ready, reducing your time to market in this competitive space.
To learn more about building and offering high-value sovereign cloud services, please read “6 Reasons Why a Data Lakehouse Service is a Must-Have for Sovereign Clouds,” or check out this webinar, “Building a Data Lakehouse Service in Sovereign Cloud.”